Friday, October 13, 2006

Smooth Sailing on Soft Shoulders

Hello Fellow Cable Lovers,

This sweater seems to be my life's work. I started it about 3 years ago. It's called Soft Shoulders by Kathy Zimmerman. It was in the Fall 2003 issue of Knitter's Magazine. My first cable project was a pair of socks. This was my second.

I have completed both sleeves and the back and hope to finish this winter. It's merino wool, Zara, I believe. So yummy. Mmmmm. And, of course, 10% cat hair (like everything else I make.)

I usually only work on this in the winter and now that fall has arrived here on the eastern edge of western Maryland I 'm itching to get it out and finish it. I love the cabling process. It never gets boring because every row is different. This pattern in particular is exciting because the chart covers 38 or 39 rows (I don't have the pattern in front of me right now) so you don't get bored by the repeats. I was a new knitter when I started this, just three months under my belt but I had a good teacher, Susan from Y2Knit, and I knew she would be there to help me if I got into trouble. I know I'm going to need her help to put it together because I've never completed a sweater before.



It has saddle shoulders and I have completed the sleeves up to the saddle. I think I'll finish the front before I start to worry about how to complete the saddles and put it together. After all this time and effort I want the finishing to look fantastic. That's one of the reasons why I have really taken my time on this project. I want it to look great when it's done.

It's for my very patient husband but I'm hoping that we can share it. At this rate, I'm not sure I'll ever make another one. I know one thing for sure, there is going to one fabulous happy dance when this is washed and blocked!

I have completed other cable projects since I started on this sweater but nothing of this magnitude. I know a lot of you have completed dozens of sweaters but this will be my first. I've done socks, scarves, lace shawls, ponchos, but not one sweater.

So wish me luck. With the stars to guide me and a strong wind at my back I may actually bring this ship into port.



Here is a close-up of the center of a sleeve.