Sunday, November 05, 2006

My cable class....

Last Saturday I got to go to a fantastic cable class with Fiona Ellis, who wrote Inspired Cable Knits. It was my very first knitting class and was so much fun. It was also a very freeform kind of class. Basically Fiona had us cast on a certain number of stitches, do a couple rows of a ribbing set up to give us a base for our cable 'chords' as she calls them. Then we just took off from there without a pattern or directions of any kind. It sounds scary, and it took a minute or two to get the hang of what you have to do to move a chord in either direction or to twist the cables, but I actually learned a lot. I highly suggest it. Fiona said that she often does this and that is how she designs sometimes. It's amazing how much more you learn about how cables work when you have to make each chord do what you want it to do.
Fiona had brought some of the sweaters from the book for us to see and try on. I had already wanted to do the two-tone blue hooded 'sweatshirt' in the back of the book, and she had it there to try on. It fit perfectly and now I can't wait to make it myself. I am ordering the Shelridge Farms wool/cotton dk yarn that the pattern calls for and am going to make the exact size of the one in the picture since it fit so well. Hopefully my gauge doesn't do me in!
In the meantime I have been making the coronet hat from Knitty and finished it tonight so I'll post a picture as soon as I take one. Instead, here is a bad picture of the swatch I did for the Morphing Cables class: